Welcome to Syntax City!
As the mayor of this great city, it is only fair of me to warn you: We take our syntax very seriously around here. Back when our city was founded, we wanted to create a utopia where all verbs would agree with their subjects, all actions would be spoken with the right tense, and all people lived peacefully with the proper pronouns.
I have a feeling you’re really going to love it here. Please grab an ID badge because as soon as you’re here, this place will become the perfect town.
Syntax City is a state-of-the-art application designed by Barbara Fernandes, M.S; CCC-SLP, that targets a variety of grammatical elements in fun and engaging ways for elementary and middle school children. The theme sets the tone for children visiting a variety of places within our town. Each location within the city targets a different set of goals:
- Gym: Do/Does
- Beach: Third person singular agreement
- Bakery: Was/Were
- Ski Resort: He/ She
- Farm: Past tense verb agreement
- Grocery: Has/Have
- Park: Is/Are
- Zoo: Regular and Irregular Plurals
Each location contains 50 targets, adding up to a total of 400 targets within 8 different activities. Each target phrase is also spoken aloud by highly talented voice-over professionals. Animations on each location make the application highly motivating for children to play while learning.
The application supports multiplayers! Each one of the five players is able to select an avatar and visit one or multiple locations within the city.
Collect treasures from each location: Syntax City has a very exciting treasure system. Each player collects a treasure based on the number of consecutive correct answers. The treasures are placed under each child’s profile.
Data tracking: As with all other Smarty Ears apps, Syntax City offers extremely detailed and visually stunning data collection. A set of graphs provides visual information on children’s skills and their progress toward mastery of specific goals. The data can be emailed, printed, or shared to other compatible applications.
- Targets receptive and expressive skills
- 400 target questions
- 8 different goals
- 8 different locations
- Tracks data for each student
- Share results via email, print, open in…
- Built-in voice recording capabilities
- Results are presented in graph or text format
- Multiplayer capabilities
- Each student can work on same location/goals in different levels
- Designed by a speech pathologist
Review from independent bloggers:
1. ” Syntax City targets a variety of grammatical elements in fun and engaging ways. It is suitable for children who have some knowledge of reading but with guidance and mediation it could possibly be used with a 5 year old child. Report is very specific for each target – allows therapist/facilitator to see exactly which structures require more work. Scores below 50% are highlighted in red.Syntax City is a great app that takes the tediousness out of working on common grammar difficulties.” http://nikkiheyman.co.za/syntax-city-app-review/
2. Speech Time Fun! Things I like about Syntax City:
- Multiplayer up to 5 students!
- Can have different goals addressed at same time
- Ability to collect data and email results
- Actual pictures presented as stimuli
- So many skills addressed!
- Addresses receptive and expressive language
- Easy to use and navigate
- Motivating for students
3. ” Syntax City is a fantastic app with lots of versatility. You can use it to work on many different objectives and target both receptive and expressive aspects. The price tag is on the high side ($39.99). However, most of us wouldn’t blink at spending that on a board game targeting syntax. Smarty Ears offers frequent sales though, follow their Facebook page for sale information!” Read complete review here: http://carriesspeechcorner.blogspot.com/2012/11/app-review-syntax-city.html